Image Map

Wednesday 24 September 2014

Vanilla & Cinnamon Cupcakes

MMMMMmmm these are just the most delicious cupcakes I have ever made and I am going to have to make myself another batch!


I am currently munching on one while writing this post and watching Great British Bake Off!




These are inspired by the famous Hummingbird Vanilla Cupcakes which are also incredibly scummy. I also used Hummingbird muffin cases.


So straight to the recipe! Also sorry for the pictures I realise they aren't the most attractive but I ended up just wanting to eat the cupcake and didn't really care how the pictures looked when my belly was talking.


For the cake:
  • 120g plain flour
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • a pinch of salt
  • 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 60ml whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 60ml almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the vanilla frosting:
  • 250g icing sugar, sifted
  • 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 25ml whole milk
  • a couple of drops of vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

For the cake:
  • Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
  • Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in the whole milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
  • Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and almond milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
  • Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched.
  • A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
  • When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the vanilla frosting on top and smooth out with a knife. If you wish, sprinkle some cinnamon on over the top. Taa-dah.
For the vanilla frosting:
  • Beat the icing sugar, cinnamon and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
  • Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
  • Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
AND YOU ARE FINISHED! I have to confess I ate loads of the mixture before it made it into the cupcake cases. 

You don't have to use almond milk but it makes me feel a little bit healthier, if you don't just replace with standard milk.

I also doubled the ingredients all the way through to make muffins instead of cupcakes, which made about 15 muffins. You don't have to be greedy like me. You don't need to double the frosting recipe.

I love cinnamon and vanilla so these were perfect for me and the have gone down a storm in the house. 

Let me know if you make these and tag me on instagram using @kimberlina94 or using #littleredbakes

Peace.

post signature


*Recipe adapted from Hummingbird Bakery. http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/475442/The-Hummingbird-Bakery-vanilla-cupcakes

2 comments:

  1. These look absolutely incredible! Two of my favourite flavours, so I'll definitely be trying these! I bet they taste super yummy! :)

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't worry about the pictures, before I read that you didn't think the pictures were very good I was thinking to myself "wow cool pictures" lol. They looks soooo yummy! Making my belly rumble! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...