Image Map

Wednesday 16 April 2014

My Banana Cinnamon Surprise Cake

(with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting)

I absolutely LOVE cinnamon and even though I dislike bananas, I have always loved a decent banana muffin because of how moist they are.

One day I decided to create my own Banana and Cinnamon cake with a few little treats inside, and ever since it has always been the cake that people ask me to make for them or the cake that they say to save a slice for them if I'm making one soon. Sooooo I thought I would share my recipe with the world and even though it won't be my secret anymore I am find with sharing as long as people show me their creations too.

This is the famous cake…



It honestly tastes amazing and you find yourself wanting more later in the day..
This cake latest about 3 days in my house and it is huge… and I also managed to use this cake in a flat game of Monopoly when I was desperate for money. I exchanged a slice in exchange for Money and even one house! That's how in demand my cake was ;)






So here is the recipe...



Ingredients

Cinnamon Banana Cake
  • 1 1/2 or 300g cups mashed very ripe bananas (overripe works best)
  • 1 cup or 200g granulated sugar
  • 1 cup or 220g brown sugar (packed)
  • 3/4 cup or 180ml vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs (room temperature)
  • 1 cup 200ml buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups or 380g all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I usually end up adding more)
  • 2 cups or 260g assorted chocolate bars chopped up (I always use Toffee Crisp, Crunchie, Mars and Dairy Milk but you can use which ever chocolate bars you like)
  • 1/2 cup or 60g chopped walnuts 
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 cup or 120g package cream cheese (softened)
  • 1/2 cup or 120g unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 1/2 cups or 600g icing sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

Instructions

Cinnamon Banana Cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom and sides of 2, 8 inch cake pans with butter and greaseproof paper.
  2. In one bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the mashed bananas with both of the sugars. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add one teaspoon of the dry mixture to prevent too much separating. Then add oil, buttermilk and vanilla; mix until well combined.
  4. Once totally combined add the chopped up chocolate bars and walnuts.
  5. Divide batter equally into prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes (keep an eye on them but don't open the door too many times or you will create a dip in the top), until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a rack.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
  1. In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. This can be done with a standard metal whisk, or preferably an electric hand whisk.
  2. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy. This usually takes about 5 mins. Mix in cinnamon.
Once the cakes are entirely cooled add a layer of cream cheese frosting to one half and then stack on top the other half. Spread the rest of the cream cheese frosting over the top and sides if desired. 
I usually sprinkle some chopped up chocolate or cinnamon around the sides for a prettier look.

I realise in my picture the frosting looks very runny and this recipe makes a thicker icing, but in the picture I have included I was testing out a different frosting that doesn't work as well as the one I have included in this recipe. This is my go to frosting and always come out delicious so expect your cake to look slightly different.

If you use this recipe please let me know how it turned out by commenting below or tagging me in a picture on Instagram using @kimberlina94

Hope you like this post!

Happy baking.

Peace.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...